Burnout feels like the new buzzword – look at any list of recent HR blogs and you are sure to see quite a few articles about burnout. What to do about it, how to avoid it, what it is, what it isn’t, and what you can or can’t do about it. Burnout is something different for everyone, in every organization. I know I’ve personally been burnt out, maybe not recently (most recently it’s been more just tired than burnt). And I also know that it takes more than a vacation or long weekend to return from being burnt out.
During the beginning of Covid, I put out a couple of Tweets checking in on folks. And I have been remiss in continuing to do this. It was a great way to connect with others, schedule calls, and create those awesome virtual coffee chats or happy hours. And I LOVED those. Even though I missed the in-person connections, I connected with so many more folks than I would have prior to Covid. These are the connections that kept me from getting burnt out during Covid. Well, that AND the privilege I had to be able to work from home.
Though I am personally doing well right now, Jon and I know that many folks are not. And it’s time to be intentional about continuing the conversations about how we are doing, mentally and physically. Join us on Sunday 5/22 at 7 pm ET for the next #HRSocialHour #TwitterChat and let’s be sure we can get help to those who need help and provide support around the #HRCommunity.
- Q1. What’s in your glass?
- Q2. Describe how you feel right now in a GIF.
- Q3. Are you burnt out/exhausted? If so, how long have you felt that way? If not now, have you at any time in the last couple of years?
- Q4. Have you found that your co-workers/peers are burnt out? Have they brought it up? How has it affected the workplace dynamic?
- Q5. What has your organization done, if anything, to address burnout? Has it proven to be beneficial?
- Q6. What have you done personally to address burnout for yourself or your peers?
- Q7. If you are burned out, do you believe things are improving? If not, what can those here in #HRSocialHour do to help?